Might Be A Scam.. A list of recent Pet Care specific online scams received through email by PUPS members.
Moderators: Forum Member, Forum Member, Forum Member, Forum Member, Forum Member

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Forum Member

Might Be A Scam..

by Forum Member » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:15 pm

this was the first

Hello,

I will like to know if you can board my pet lovely pet with you as from March 15th till April 15th..I have a chihuahua breed of dog he is 4 years old,kindly get back with your availability.

Best Regards,

Terry.

Then i responded
Yes I can

then he responded back with
kindly get back to me with your total price for the service over the period i inquired...

then i said
$450.00 with discount total $400.00

then he replied back with
Kindly get back to me with your name,phone number and address to issue out your payment with a check asap.

Many thanks for your care and concern.

Terry.

then i replied back
that i actually need to confirm your information first your name, address and phone number and i have to meet you and your pet.

he replied back with

Terence Warner
2950 Express Drive South,
Suite 102, Islandia,
NY 11749-1412 USA.
Roaming number# +447024028037

So i replied sorry your to far away thanks

havent got anything yet.. will post more when he replies back

Forum Member
Graduate
Graduate

by Forum Member » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:56 am

Sounds like a phishing scam to me.

The address is legit according to the US Postal site.

The 'roaming' telephone number country code is from the United Kingdom.

You did well in getting more information from them before giving any further information about yourself. They probably would have tried to establish some trust with you before asking for more personal information.

I think your gut feelings on this one are absolutely correct!

Forum Member

he hasnt replied back

by Forum Member » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:29 am

since i updated the post this morning he hasnt sent anything else and we sent a couple back and forth already this morning. when i first read it i just knew it wasnt right. Thanks for your input.

Forum Member
Tenured Professor
Tenured Professor

by Forum Member » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:41 pm

I think the majority of us get these things all too often. It's quite obvious that it is a scam. I'm wondering why you even responded to it in the first place? A good portion of time they are trying to find a viable address in which to keep sending stuff to. Once you respond they know they have found a working address.
When you compare these types of e-mails to the others that are actually legit you can certainly tell a "bad" one from a "for real" potential client.
Best to just DELETE!!!

Forum Member
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Forum Member » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:14 pm

Personally I think scammers deal with so many hundreds of thousands of email addresses, that they don't really "keep track" of which ones are valid or not. They just keep buying and scanning lists at random for more addresses to bug.

I write back to them to see if I can get them to send me a fake check for my collection. I haven't gotten one in quite a while though. They write to me a few times, but then they forget about me - I think business is just too good for them to keep up with everyone. Either that, or they got raided before they could send me a check (Nigeria and India do prosecute these crimes - they are just so prevalent that it is very hard to make much of a dent).

Forum Member
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Forum Member » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:19 pm

I think the US addresses are the most interesting. Lately these scammers have figured out that no one trusts mail that comes from India or Nigeria. So they recruit Americans via email by offering the "Job Opportunities" "Sending mail" and/or printing checks for a legitimate business. They promise the sender will get a % of each letter sent.

Really all the scammer wants is his foreign postmark to be replaced by a new american postmark.

Sometimes they even send a legit mail first so the person actually makes a few dollars the first time. The second time, their check is also fake - and now they've unknowningly committed something like 'federal mail fraud' by sending fraudulent checks via US mail.

I've gotten offers for these "job opportunities" at least 3 or 4 times now. So I think most scammers are going this route now.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1