new scam name? A list of recent Pet Care specific online scams received through email by PUPS members.
Moderators: Forum Member, Forum Member, Forum Member, Forum Member, Forum Member

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Forum Member

new scam name?

by Forum Member » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:52 pm

Diane Wood of Diane's Cat and Dog Care in Danville, Illinois here.

I think "Victor" or whoever has changed his name.... I got an e-mail from "Dr. Willians Moore" telling me he would be in my area in August/September and would need someone to walk his two Alsatians daily while he is here. He said he is currently in Columbus, Ga. When I responded to his original message my ISP's mailer daemon indicated that my message did not go through. However, I got a "reply" from him anyway. When I was looking through the scam forum and saw the posts about "Victor" and his two Alsatians it made me think maybe "Victor" has changed his name.

There was just enough about the message to make me think it was legitimate - the hospital he claims to be working at in Columbus is real....But who still refers to German Shepherds as Alsatians? There are probably still some folks in the British Isles who use that terminology....

Anyway, I posted on the not specifically pet sitter related forum originally and then got a reply to that post from someone who indicated this was probably a scam, so I thought I'd put a post right on the scam forum in case anyone else has heard from "Dr. Moore."

Oh, my gosh!!!! I just looked at one of the other messages. Yes!!! It is indeed the same guy! The names have changed in his message, but the language is the same! What a wanker (as long as he is using the English vernacular.....)!!!

Diane

Forum Member
Esteemed Grand Guru
Esteemed Grand Guru

Re: new scam name?

by Forum Member » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:07 pm

dawzach wrote:What a wanker (as long as he is using the English vernacular.....)!!!

Diane

Love that word!

Forum Member
Graduate
Graduate

by Forum Member » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Unfortunately its not just "one" specific person sending these emails out. It's usually a network of people who work together overseas that send them.
I got a ton after someone from India visited my website. Have to love visitor tracking.
These people will target anyone.
There was a story on the news the other night about a guy who was looking for a job in the newspaper. Short story is he replied, they sent a fake check and of course he knew it ended up being a scam.
They tried the same scam on auto trader a few years ago when I sold my old car.

I even got an email the other day and instead of saying Alsatians they actually put German Shepard's.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1