BBB email scam A list of recent Pet Care specific online scams received through email by PUPS members.
Moderators: Forum Member, Forum Member, Forum Member, Forum Member, Forum Member

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Forum Member

BBB email scam

by Forum Member » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:34 am

I'm not sure this qualifies as a scam per se, but this turned up in my inbox this morning. This is a new one to me. The give away on this is the poor grammar and the Arlington, VA address listed by the BBB logo at the bottom of the email. I'm guessing the "complaint" attached is some kind of virus or something bad. Here's the text:

Good afternoon,

Here with the Better Business Bureau would like to notify you that we have been filed a complaint (ID 70332555) from your customer in regard to their dealership with you.

Please open the COMPLAINT REPORT below to view the details on this case and let us know of your position as soon as possible.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Fernando Grodhaus

Dispute Counselor
Better Business Bureau

Forum Member
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Forum Member » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:21 pm

That's a good one. Usually the attachment will install a script so that malware can hijack your email or other parts of your computer without you being able to tell (other than possibly your real-time anti-virus or malware detector catching it). Nice catch not open an attachment!

Forum Member

by Forum Member » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks. It was full of red flags. Amazing how much thought and energy criminals put into these things.

Forum Member
Esteemed Grand Guru
Esteemed Grand Guru

by Forum Member » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:49 am

PetSits wrote:That's a good one. Usually the attachment will install a script so that malware can hijack your email or other parts of your computer without you being able to tell (other than possibly your real-time anti-virus or malware detector catching it). Nice catch not open an attachment!

I probably would have opened it!

You can go directly to the BBB website, look yourself up and see if there are any complaints for real.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1