Pet sitting request by e-mail A list of recent Pet Care specific online scams received through email by PUPS members.
Moderators: Forum Member, Forum Member, Forum Member, Forum Member, Forum Member

35 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Forum Member
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

Pet sitting request by e-mail

by Forum Member » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:16 pm

"Good Afternoon,

I have a number of potential customers looking for a pet sitter in your area.
I thought you would make a good fit.

Please give me a call at your earliest convenience.

Tony Voss"

Would it have been too difficult to give a little more information than just this? I checked the header and it looks legit. Tried to check the ip, but it states blocked on each site I looked. Did a reverse phone lookup and the number is CA, but unlisted. Hmmmm...

Forum Member
***MIRANDA***
***MIRANDA***

by Forum Member » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:25 pm

Scammer.

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-949-859-2301

Scroll down and you'll see the exact same wording.

Forum Member
Graduate
Graduate

by Forum Member » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Seems a little sketchy to me, but you guys have seen alot more than I have sent in the process of getting ready to start my business. I am just looking at it from the idea that someone would really give more info than that.

Forum Member
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

by Forum Member » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:39 pm

Miranda, you're so good. I completely forgot about that website. Thanks! I thought it sounded a little iffy, so that's why I was checking it out thoroughly before making any calls or e-mails.

Soooo...maybe we want to move this post to the scam board...Oh Great Moderator. :D

Forum Member
***MIRANDA***
***MIRANDA***

by Forum Member » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:42 pm

Good idea...done.

Forum Member
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

by Forum Member » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:14 pm

I got the same exact email a couple hours ago.

Forum Member
Professor
Professor

by Forum Member » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:22 am

I got my first spam email for pet sitting! (not this one) Does that mean I am real now? Hee hee!

Forum Member
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I got my first attempt at a scam by email!

by Forum Member » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:39 pm

Check out this one from "Kheshia Cole, kheshia@gmail.com"

Hello,
How are you doing today?i hope you having great time with your family and friends.My name is Kheshia Cole ,I am looking for a dependable pet sitter.I need someone one who can help me out during weekends.

I have an 18 month old pit bull,Looking for someone who loves dogs and can walk my dog mid-day and must be experience in handling pets. i keep a very busy schudle,i dont have time on my hands and it really affecting my dog, has not been getting it exercise regularly due to my work ..

It has made my dog look alittle less happy lately?i need some one who can becoming down to my house to watch over it and also help me to care for my yard and garden cleaning while am away. i will be happy if you could be coming and be watching after my pet feed it and make it feel happy.And above all i what will make my pet look healthy cos i really love my pet,he is my companion and i cant just give up my work that is why i need someone to come in and help me out...

I need to know the person very well, in identity and in character ,who will be taking good care of my house and handle my house affairs while am away and my pet as well.My dog is so sweet and loveable. Pls where are you lcoated in the city ?pls you need to let me know where you are located in the city cos i dont want a long distance from me.I am willing to pay anywhere from $80 - $100 weekly cos my pets are troublesome but Please let me know if you are interested in earning some extra cash and for a weekend. Friday evening / Saturday / and Sunday.
Thank you. .
Have a blessed day
Regards
Kheshia
---------
And then I got a response email after I responded to the above this is where the scam becomes clear:

Hello,
Thanks for your urgent response, i will like you to give me total break down of charges for a month.I am very greatful for your response and i believe you be good and sincere,above all trust worthy when it come to you giving the best of your ability.i will like to know little about you, if you dont mind since i will be entrusting my house to you.i am a sincere person and why am being so careful,is because people have taken advantage of my sincerity on several occasions.You really sound interesting and faithful person, Presently am out of town on a business trip and i hate to live my pet all alone in the compound. And am not comfortable with it, but i cant help it,i wont be back till next week and i have another engagement preceeding it.that's why i need you to come in and save the situation for me..
like I said earlier on i will be arriving next week ,i need to get in contact with you in order to secure your service ahead of my arrival. so that the work can commence asap, regarding the checking of the house i would have loved to give you go ahead. but in order to avoid embarrassment from the security i would suggest you await my arrival next week. Now,getting down to the issue of payment for your services,i have decided to pay you ahead so you that you can take care of necessary things to be done in my absence while am away.pls i need your full to co-operation, My boss will be sending you a check for the work .so that it will enable you work daily or weekly and for the maintainable of warfare of my pets while am always away.i will call you as soon i arrive so that i can show you my house and you can get to met my pet ,so that you can be familiar with it and get to view the atmosphere of my compound if it will be conducive for you or take it to your place anytime untill i arrive...so that you can take care of my pet , i will drop you the key cos am always travelling and i need u to pls help me maintain my compound for me and my pet. So, i want to be paying you in advance due to my nature of work .

Am not too comfortable leaving my pet all alone in my compound, though, i left sufficient food for it to feed on. but it wont make it look healthy without seeing people around it and without getting the human touches that i have been given to them since all this while..Am seeking your service in advance just because, that why anxious i am to have you come over with me ,when i arrive to see my dog and see if you will be able to be coming down to look after it in my house or better still have you take it to your place.You strike me as someone very interesting to be with and i believe my pet will feel very much at home with you.So, pls i would love to know you more and i will be communicating untill i arrive.If you are ready and interested in doing this for me get the information below to me...Pls i need your understanding and your cooperation regarding this once again. i will need the following
Details(information) Below:
FULL NAME :
FULL ADDRESS :
CITY:
STATE/ZIPCODE:
TELEPHONE:
CELL PHONE:
I will need this information in order for to able to issue the check, because my boss whom i worked for is oweing me and he is ready to pay me, so he needs this information so he can issue the check and send it to you ASAP, immediately he sends the check, i will forward the Courier Tracking Number to you and it will be Deliver Unfailingly within 3 business days. i want you to give me your best, As soon as the information required from you is sent to me, the payment will be issued and will it get to you through your contact address Asap coz it takes 2-3
business days for it to get delivered. am Looking forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Kheshia

Forum Member

by Forum Member » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:04 pm

I got those exact same two emails from the same kheshia cole! I posted them under "Here's another one for the list - long" just this morning. lol

Forum Member
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

by Forum Member » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:52 am

That's too much I got the same Kheshia Cole one too!

Forum Member
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Re: re: re: I got my first scam by email!

by Forum Member » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:06 am

Wow, I'm really glad I posted and that Anytime posted as well! Thanks for responding... Now we know unequivocally that this is a scam. Wow. :o

Forum Member
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Forum Member » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:34 pm

I think it's funny that they pick pit bulls 50% of the time. They must hear about "pit bulls" in America in the news alot and think we all just love pit bulls in the U.S.

Forum Member
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

khesia cole-scam

by Forum Member » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:17 pm

I got that same one from khesia cole....you can always tell by the grammer. I also received another one just like it by Henry Jeff...Does anyone knows what happens if you respond or why?

Hello

The Dogs are with my vet doctor back home in Pennsylvania i have missed the for too long that's is why i want them here with me from January 2nd to January 23rd , I am staying in an apartment where you can visit the pets 3 times a week for 3 weeks . they are very friendly and interacts easily,and also fast learners.the vet doctor that will be bring them will guide you with their likes and dislikes so you do not have to worry about that. You will be siting them 2 hour per day and 3 days a week for 3 weeks which i am offering $60.00/hr for both (which i have in mind) so get back to me with the total so my Account officer can make out payment to you .In view of this I need you to email me any information that may be required to send the payment as I do not want to send the check to a wrong location lest they get into the wrong hands. I also want to alert you on the fact that the check you will be receiving will be an overdraft, which will cover your money for the sitting of the pups for 2 hour per day and 3 days a week for 3 weeks and you will give the balance to my vet doctor who will be bringing the puppies down from Pennsylvania he also will be taking care of the travel expenses and also guide you with their likes and dislikes. I hope i can count on you for the sitting of my pups. Here are some of the details I will need for final issuance of the certified Check :

(1) Your Charge For An Hour....
(2) Total Charges For 3 Weeks, 3 Times A Week, And 2 Hours Each Day
(3) Full Name To Put On Check
(4) Mailing address,(no p.o box pls).
(5) your direct telephone number both home and cell.
(6) Acceptance of the deal.

Once you get back to me with all the above, the Certified Check will be issued and it will be sent to you .Hope to hear from you immediately. I hope i can trust you with my puppies and you will teach them some moral respects,Looking forward to your swift response. Thanks and please get back to me asap if you are Capable.

Best Regards,
Rev Henry Jeff

Forum Member
Esteemed Grand Guru
Esteemed Grand Guru

by Forum Member » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:38 am

Here's the latest:

Am Jordan Brown,am looking for good pet sitter for my two Alsatian dog in Texas.If interested you can contact me for further information.

So I wrote back to ask what city in Texas he will be visiting (knowing it's a scam.) Almost immediately I get this:

Hello Damiana,

I got your mail and it really sounds great. Thanks for your response. Am really glad to know your interest and am sure you will be fine with my pet. There names are Kaita and Jack,friendly and a lover of toys.

Am presently working on a contract in Hughston Hospital of Columbus, Georgia. I hope you understand that am not residing in your state. Am coming there for a contract in March, You will start having my pet from 5th of March to 26th March 10am – 3pm on Mondays – Fridays Daily. I will have to lodge in an Hotel very close to you or you can have my pets in your house depending on what's the best for you and I will be picking them up when am returning back from work..

Please can you get back to me with your charges in your next email? Please understand that am not concern about the charges but the care you will give to my Pets. I just want to be sure you will take absolute care of them.

The pay check for your first week services would be arriving as soon as we finalize plans and make immediate arrangement so I can be rest assured that I will be leaving my pets with you. Hence, get back to me with the following:

FULL NAME:
ADDRESS (NOT P O BOX):
CITY:
STATE:
ZIP CODE:
MOBILE #:

As should appear on the check and your total charges per week. As soon as I get your reply we will proceed immediately and finalize all arrangement.Attached therein is the pictures of Kaita and Jack.
I look forward to your urgent reply.
Best Regards,
Dr.Jordan Brown

He's got two pictures of dogs attached to the message. Well, not knowing what Alsatians were (GSs), I googled it. Low and behold! HIS dogs' pictures are on the google entry! Amazing! lol I didn't even notice that at first then looked again.

So being the good smart a$$ that I am, I wrote back:

One month of 5 days a week, 5 hours a day will be pretty costly. You will send a check via Fed-ex right? So that the US post office is not involved (hence the 'no PO box" in your message.) Then, once I get the check and deposit it, you will write me and say you have had an emergency and need me to send the money back via Western Union. You haven't even said what city in Texas you will be visiting. Let me guess, it will be the city I'm living in, right? All I said in my email was to tell me what city you will be visiting and showed no interest in taking the job.

I don't do hotel sits, I don't do hourly sits and I don't take checks from people I have never met. Nice try.

Forum Member
Professor
Professor

by Forum Member » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:17 pm

I got the same one as you Damiane.

Forum Member
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

by Forum Member » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:35 pm

Yup, got the same one!

Forum Member
***MIRANDA***
***MIRANDA***

by Forum Member » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:35 pm

You guys might consider not having your e-mail as a clickable link, or even openly displayed, on your website--although I realize that does make it more convenient for potential clients, it also does invite spammers. Even when it's not clickable, spam programs can read e-mail addresses and harvest them. If you want it displayed, but not clickable, you can put it in a picture and use that instead.

Or it might be because you use your host e-mail.

I don't get any of those. But on the other hand, it doesn't hurt you to get them, since you recognize them right away...and I guess they do provide some light entertainment! :D

Forum Member
Professor
Professor

by Forum Member » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:40 pm

Well Ingrid at least he doesn't think it just us Texas that would be dumb enough to fall for it!

Forum Member
***MIRANDA***
***MIRANDA***

by Forum Member » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:43 pm

There were 3 on APS that got Jordan's e-mail also.

Forum Member
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

by Forum Member » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Mine is set where you can't click on it, you need to copy/paste.

Forum Member
***MIRANDA***
***MIRANDA***

by Forum Member » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:39 pm

I know, but it's still in plain text. They have programs (similiar to the bots that the search engines use to crawl your page to decide how to rank you) that search for text in e-mail address format. That's why some people spell out the @ as "at", or the . as "dot". Or, like I said make a jpg with text--all the bots see is the jpg.

Forum Member
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

by Forum Member » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:12 pm

Ahhh I see.

Forum Member
Esteemed Grand Guru
Esteemed Grand Guru

by Forum Member » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:56 am

My Pets Buddy wrote:I know, but it's still in plain text. They have programs (similiar to the bots that the search engines use to crawl your page to decide how to rank you) that search for text in e-mail address format. That's why some people spell out the @ as "at", or the . as "dot". Or, like I said make a jpg with text--all the bots see is the jpg.

I changed my email on the site to 'info@...' but that doesn't stop spam of course. I use gmail so all my addresses come to the same inbox and I have to look to see what address it was sent to, I still get mail at my hotmail address. That one was sent to 'damiane@exceptional...'

I wanted it to be easy to send me an email, I hate that you have to do this stuff :(

Forum Member
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Exact Email

by Forum Member » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:06 pm

I got the exact same emails from victor2shaw@aol.com. stock photos and exact wording in the emails.

Forum Member
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

by Forum Member » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:42 am

I got it too. I think a couple days ago

Forum Member
Tenured Professor
Tenured Professor

by Forum Member » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:35 am

Victor2shaw sent me that same one a few times. Received one yesterday from him but it mentions 2 German Shepherds.

Forum Member
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

by Forum Member » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:07 pm

I just got the same one from the Victor 2 Shaw as well...we are just trying to make an honest living why do people have to be like this.

Forum Member
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

by Forum Member » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:54 pm

I just got an e-mail from victor2shaw requesting pet sitting/dog walking services.

Forum Member

by Forum Member » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:19 pm

I got an email from Victor Shaw too. He must be shopping around for the best pet sitter, and then decide where he will be coming. lol

:smt043

Forum Member
Professor
Professor

by Forum Member » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:35 am

"simonmelogan@aol.com" <simonmelogan>

To: simonmelogan@aol.com
Hello,

Am Simon Logan,am looking for good pet sitter or a Dog Walker for my two
German Shepherds Dog.If interested you can contact me for further
information.[simonmelogan@aol.com]

Best Regard,
Simon

Forum Member
Graduate
Graduate

by Forum Member » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:42 pm

I got it too!

Forum Member
Esteemed Grand Guru
Esteemed Grand Guru

by Forum Member » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm

I just got simonlogan'd myself!

Forum Member
Graduate
Graduate

by Forum Member » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:29 pm

I've been getting a ton of scam emails lately. Not just for pet sitting either. Foreign Lottery, Child in need, etc.
One thing I noticed is my website was visited by someone in India right before I started getting these so obviously this is where a lot of them are coming from.

Forum Member
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

by Forum Member » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:14 pm

Got Victor Shaw'd today!

Forum Member
Professor
Professor

by Forum Member » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:09 pm

Now he has changed his name to Andy Collins.

I think he has an identiry crisis.

35 posts   •   Page 1 of 1